Sunday, January 21, 2007

Writing Journal 3

I thought of my moral, that honesty is the best policy, and came up with a frame I could display this moral in. That frame ended up being a college setting, with a dishonest Dean trying to dispose of a dishonest Professor who are both exposed at the end of the story. So my anecdotes had to it within this frame. The contextual ones were all about setting up the situation, so they were fairly easy to come up with; the Dean discovering the problem, deciding to fix the problem using a student and proposing the solution to the student. The next three anecdotes would fall under the action section, and I chose them on three things I could imagine would annoy teachers- being disruptive in class, doing awful homework, and annoying them in their personal time. The moral of my story is “Honesty is the Best Policy.” I think my reversal surprises the reader. Who would have expected the worst student in the History of Trinity Western to excel to the point of graduating with honors? I did return to Machiavelli’s fable as the inspiration for my contextual anecdotes. I modeled my Dean off of the Prince of Hell who was more concerned with saving face than anything else. The most challenging part of this assignment was finishing the piece without making it sound cheesy, or using a cliché, or just ending it. Actually, I am not sure I really managed that anyways. I don’t feel more prepared for writing my next story because I do not know what our next assignment will be. So far we have written is such different styles and with such varying goals that I do not feel like what I have learned really carries over into the next piece. Besides, these pieces would be more helpful in preparing us for our next assignment if we got them back, with critiques, before the next assignment was due. Since we get them back after the next assignment is due they are not very useful for helping us apply what we learn in the next assignment.

No comments: