Sunday, January 7, 2007

THe Experiance of Writing an Invisible City

Really, none of the themes were particularly easy for me to write with. I could do better if I started writing and then matched a theme with what I already had on the page then gone back and finished the story keeping that theme in mind. That way I had a city that followed the theme while still reflecting something that was my creation and was not nearly as forced as another invisible city would have been. It was definitely easier for me to write the city without a theme. This is because without the worry of using a theme I was able to create use my language to create a society that I could use to make a point of my choosing. The way I wrote these stories I started out with an idea for a city, like a city on a hill overlooking a green valley. I then imagined that this city envied the valley below- and that they would eventually take over the valley and come to envy the city they had left behind. The idea of longing for whatever we don’t have was not one of the themes I pulled out of Calvino’s works, but it was a fun one to write about, and writing without using Calvino’s theme allowed me to do that. The most difficult part of the assignment was coming up with the ideas for a city that would support one of Calvino’s themes. I could come up with an idea for a city, but it usually didn’t utilize one of his themes. I did like Calvino’s writing style, but I tried to use my own writing style when I was writing my stories. But I believe that part of the reason that Calvino’s writing appealed to me was that it was at least a bit similar to mine, so I’m sure I borrowed at least a bit of his style inadvertently. But I like to think of my writing as mine so I try not to take too much of someone else’s writing style. Rome does not seem like an imaginary city, it seems like a very real city. If I had to write about Rome I would not use a theme, I would just describe what I see and see what kind of theme develops.

No comments: