Loneliness
A friend of mine would call Tretre a perfect city. She would walk down the streets and appreciate the sweeping views of distant mountains, the refreshing lack of noise and the fresh air. She would admire the tall trees that grew between the buildings built as far away from the road as they could be. She would marvel at the small tracks that served as the drives and roads to and from houses and banks and hotels, knowing that their small size and light use marked the infrequent passing of only a few people. She would spend her years there, finding herself a warm house deep in the trees, venturing out to meet the other reclusive members of her new circle of friends, spending the evenings in each house in turn, praising the lonely walks through the summer woods or the private dip in the hot springs in the deep of winter. She would find a man who also loves Tretre and would move into his home to raise her children, who would also to have a deep love of the quite city. Each of them would one day move into their own homes deeper into the woods, down their own tracks that the casual eye would miss, marry and grow old. One day, years after I had waved goodbye to my friend as she left the bustling city where we had grown up, before I had lost her in the dark northern woods, she invited me to visit. I never made it. For when I traveled the road she told me to follow, I stopped, filled with nothing but doubts as I stared at the track fading into the trees. I turned, defeated, for I couldn’t tell the difference between the city and the woods.
Faulty assumptions
When I walked into Avari I was thrilled. I knew that this was a place where I could find good friends, good food, and an intellectual climate that could not be contained in books and the libraries that stood out on the old crooked corners. There was a richness there that excited me, intrigued me, pushing me to peel back the layers in this mysterious city and revel in the secrets I discovered. As my first day drew to a close I lay in bed with a smile playing on my lips as I pondered the wonders in store for me.
The next morning I set out to discover the secret of Aravi. I walked first to the famous stairways that had been acclaimed by visitors for centuries. I gazed in wonder at the magnificent sweeping stone steps, but I was soon distracted by a young girl twirling a parasol on her shoulder as she flirted with a well dressed youth on the old stone steps. Next I turned to the ancient arenas, where thousands had lost their lives in brutal entertainments. But the vibrance of the place came not from the crumbling marble walls, but from the couples in the crowd who clung to each other, gazing fiercely into each others’ eyes, oblivious to the people around them. I shook my head and traveled next to the fountain that brings good luck to those who visit. But I found that the fountain’s secret lay not in the cascades of water, but in the lovers tucked into the numerous small nooks whimsically created by the sculptor’s chisel. Disturbed, I traveled next to the underground tombs, to the tunnels and caverns that housed thousands of the dead in sacred darkness. But even here, laughing girls and half naked boys fled from the light, claiming even the graveyards of Aravi as theirs. It seemed that everywhere I turned in Aravi I discovered another lover’s haunt, disturbed another secret tryst between young men and beautiful women. That night I returned to my room and sat in bed thinking. If this was the secret of Aravi I would embrace it. Even if it was not what I expected, I could accept and even flourish because of this discovery.
As dawn broke I was out searching. I searched over the city and under, beneath the burning sun and the in the soft glow of the moon. I looked in smoke filled bars and in clear-aired parks, along the banks of the river and on several crowded hilltops. Everywhere I looked I found couples, but I was never a part of one. And as I looked and looked I came to realize that this was Aravi’s true secret, it was a town built for other lovers. As I finally peeled back this last layer disguising this secret my heart broke. I found myself in my room, crying out at the darkness, and all around me I heard lovers laughing. In the morning I left Aravi. I would never come back.
Monotony
Three steps down, open the door, hear the lock click behind you. Walk down the street past the fish vendor and the jeweler’s door, around the corner where every morning at ten an old beggar clinks his cup against the stones. Halfway down the winding block you turn into a brightly lit and crowded café. The lady behind the counter recognizes you and sings out your order before you have a chance to think about whether you really want a café macchiato. Sometimes you ponder, quietly to yourself, whether you would prefer a café latte instead, just to be different, but every time you come to the conclusion that no, the macchiato is better. You sip your coffee next to the bar and listen to the women next to you talk about the upcoming sale and the outrageous price of spices at the spice vendor around the corner again. Once you are done you continue down the street past the man playing the accordion to turn into the small dingy courtyard and walk up three flights of stairs, each with nine steps. You turn into the third door and settle into your well worn chair as you reposition the typewriter in front of you. You pull the tray of receipts closer to you and pick up the first one. You type the information out, place the receipt in the tray on the other side of your desk, where, every half hour, the secretary from down the hall collects them to take them to the clerk in the office next to hers. After six hours you stand up at the ringing of the church bells, which consistently marked the passing of every quarter hour. You walk down the three flights of stairs and make your way back through the city streets, past the spice vendor packing up his wares and the restaurants setting out their chairs. You sit down in the corner table of the restaurant on the corner behind the fish vendor. You glance at the menu, consider, and order the gnocchi Ragu. As you sit at the table you watch the people who walk by every night, the lady with the Pomeranian, the man in his top hat, a great lady who is in love with an officer, the three girls from the University next door who giggle too loud. A little later, after the gnocchi is almost gone you know that the street lamp lighter would pass by on his way to light the streets of Nuovo, the town which, for you, never changes.
No Theme
Palmyra sits uneasily on a hill overlooking a rich green valley. For years the inhabitants of Palmyra had been watching the valley below them, envying the ways of the valley people as they steered their ox carts along the straight, tree shaded roads, past the fields of wheat and rye and summer squash. Palmyra watched and envied what it saw. Look at the valley floor, they would say, it is flat and straight, unlike our crooked city streets that wind about every which way. And look at their oxen pulling those huge carts. They are much better animals than the goats we have pulling our carts up the steep incline behind our houses. And the empty valley floor lets the people there build their large sprawling farmhouses over acres of land. We, on the other hand, have to build our houses so high that the block out the sun and threaten to topple and kill us all! They grumbled as they climbed up the staircases that encircled the houses like ivy, pausing at balconies to cast a longing gaze at the flat valley below. Day after day the inhabitants of Palmyra had only one topic of conversation, the glories of the valley below. From the windows in their high, tiered houses they sipped wine and discussed how the valley floor produced better grapes than their vineyards ever could. They sat around billiards tables and stared out the window, the game forgotten, because someone mentioned that the balls rolled straighter on the valley floor. And as parents tucked their children in at night they would look at them sorrowfully before whispering quietly in their ears, we are sorry you were not born in the valley.
Then one year a young boy asked his uncle why, if everyone was so fond of the valley, did they not live in the valley? The suggestion startled the uncle, and a flicker of hope shone in his eye as he considered it. That night he mentioned it to his drinking friends, who took the idea and swirled it around their cups thoughtfully before fully drinking it in. Live in the valley? Soon the entire city of Palmyra was ringing with the wonderful idea; we could live in the valley! We could get away from this wretched hill and live in the lush green pastures that we had always loved! The news rang from the high towers and flew off balcony railings, and within a week the people of Palmyra had decided they would inhabit the valley. Within a month they had swept out of their stronghold on the hilltop and slaughtered those who stood in the way of their rightful claims to the valley floor.
The people of Palmyra soon dispersed, settled in and faded. They intermarried with those who had survived the slaughter and a new race of valley people came to be. Eventually the years wiped away the memory of what had been and the new valley people looked at the old city on the hilltop, at the grand, if slightly worn alabaster towers, at the rooftops that shone with precious stones and gold inlay, at the windows that still held the last shards of real glass panes, and envied the people who had once called that city home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kristine
Tretre
I thought that the use of the third person was interesting, in that it helped to understand the city from the perspective of the inhabitant. The story flowed really well, and the imagery from the detailed writing painted a picture that helped describe the city.
I really didn’t see the theme of loneliness as you described the city, perhaps somber would be a more fitting theme. Further, there were several spelling mistakes/ typos and other parts of the story were confusing like “She would marvel at the small tracks that served as the drives and roads to and from houses” which doesn’t make much sense.
Aravi
Rome eh? So I instantly caught that this was Rome, which is cool because your descriptions were very accurate without saying very much. This time the theme was well fitted, but I don’t really understand why the character was so disappointed that with the lovers that filled the streets. This is good though, not bad, because it tells a back story of the character without saying anything. As if the character had their heart broken or whatever.
Once again, there are spelling mistakes (Avari or Aravi?) and some awkward sentences. I also don’t see why the town is built for the lovers, is it because of the nook and crannies? Using Rome as a base is fine, but maybe you could have been a little more inventive and secretive in describing the city without describing the city.
Nuovo
So the town’s name and the theme are contradictory? That is interesting, also that we don’t hear the name of the city until the end. The use of the second person really drives the theme, this is what you do et al. The descriptions made it feel less monotonous, but as you finish the story, this feels like their everyday life.
Well, I didn’t find anything really wrong with this one; everything seemed to be in the right place at the right time.
Palmyra
This was a clever story of “the grass is always greener on the other side,” at least that is how I understood the theme. It was clever how a boy would be the curious one, as they really are, to come up with the grand idea, but probably missed the point of why they left the valley in the first point (as the elders should have remembered).
The first paragraph has a lot of awkward sentences and spelling mistakes, which made it very difficult to read. The flow was broken up a lot, and I missed the point of the story until I reread a couple of times (the first part), but the second part flowed fine with minimal grammar mistakes.
Tretre
I loved the ending of your story. You foreshadowed it a bit by saying “a friend of mine would call Tretre a perfect city,” which implied that you would disagree for some reason or another, but didn’t reveal the reason until the very end, which made me want to keep reading. Your last sentence explained this well and wrapped up the story with a feeling of finality. I also liked the sentence “She would marvel….only a few people.” I thought this was an effective description, although I stumbled just a little over the “drives…hotels” section.
Personally, I felt that the repetition of “She would” became a little much, and I would have mixed up the beginnings of my sentences. I think that though it does give the paragraph a certain sound, it is just a little too repetitive and the piece would be more fluid if you started the sentences with different phrases. One other minor change I would make is in the sentence that starts with “For when I…” - I might combine it somehow with the sentence directly before it because I feel like that one is a bit too short and the “for when I” is a bit of an abrupt beginning. That might just be stylistic preference of mine though.
Avari
Wow. Another good end to a story. The last three or four sentences broke my heart too! I felt similar things about this story- you have slight foreshadowing that is really intriguing and the ending surprised me. When you said “crying out at the darkness and all around me I heard lovers laughing,” I felt that was the strongest imagery in the whole piece.
My main critique of your piece would be to put this sort of imagery into every single sentence. You have a lot of really good ones, such as “the fountain’s secret…..sculptor’s chisel,” “magnificent sweeping steps…old stone steps” (although I might use a different word instead of steps twice), and “burning sun…of the moon.” However, some of your other sentences are more plain and don’t paint as strong of a picture, which would add a lot to this story.
Nuovo
I think you did a really good job with the second person narrative. I love the sentence where you say “no, the macchiato is better” – I really felt like it was in the head of someone making a decision. The wording was well-done. The way you wrote this piece gave it a very familiar feel, as if it truly is something that the person experiences every day over and over. Things like “the third door” and “three flights of stairs” are less apparent details and wouldn’t really be acknowledged unless it was something you did every day.
Like the first story, this one has a lot of similar sentence starters. Saying “you” over and over does make the story feel more monotonous and I think to an extent it was good, but it went just a little bit overboard to the point where it detracted from the skill of the rest of the story. Also the first two sentences I thought were great descriptively but didn’t fit the same tense as the rest of the story. They seem more like instructions than narration and contrast with the rest of the piece.
Palmyra
Again I really like the idea of your story. I think it’s interesting and a theme that is certainly true in real life – to use a cliché, the grass is greener on the other side. I also like the way that you wrote it from the perspective of the people in Palmyra – using words like “we” and “us” without making it a direct quote gives this sort of effect. My favorite part of the piece was the billiard example. It’s something so specific and explanatory but the message behind it is applicable to all parts of the life in Palmyra.
You started a lot of sentences with “And” which to me felt choppy. It might have been the effect you were going for, but as you can probably tell, variation in sentences is one of my main focuses in writing. One other critique I have is about the use of the word “slaughter.” To me, it was a little disruptive to the tone of the rest of the piece and I thought it was kind of harsh. It did give a clear picture of what happened, but I thought it was kind of out of place because the people of Palmyra didn’t seem violent in any other way.
Post a Comment