Sunday, January 14, 2007

Myth Journal

I chose Demeter and Dionysus because I wanted to write a commentary on the modern day relationship to nature, so the gods of fertility, the harvest and the vine seemed like logical choices for characters. I utilized metaphor by contrasting the modern city with nature, who was personified by Demeter. It was not very difficult because the way I wrote the story it was inherent within her character. My use of third person gives the reader the feel of having a narrator tell the story which plays into the idea that, as a myth, someone is explaining a truth to you through a story. It reinforces the reader’s idea that they are being told this by an impassive third party who is the one trying to impress a point upon them. I chose to include dialogue because I felt it would show a more realistic interaction between my characters. The most difficult part of writing this piece was coming up with a framework and choosing out characters that fit the framework for a story that I could work with.

No comments: